3-Y-O Girl's Mother To Be Charged Under Child Care And Protection Act

Residents of Orange Hill in Brown's Town, St Ann, reacted with shock and anger yesterday after the brutal killing of three-year-old Nevalesia Campbell.

{xtypo_dropcap}A{/xtypo_dropcap}cting Commanding Officer for St Ann Superintendent Gary Francis says the police have taken into custody the mother of the slain three-year-old and her common law husband.

The man is not the child’s father.

He says the police will be charging them under the Child Care and Protection Act.

Francis says the couple was taken into custody last night.

Police investigations have revealed that at the time the child was abducted she and her sibling were at home alone.

The body of Nevalesia Campbell was found (Graphic Photo - Optional) in the community with what appeared to be chop wounds after she went missing sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

She was found in the community with what appeared to be chop wounds after she went missing some time between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Superintendent Stephanie Lindsay, who heads the Constabulary Communications Unit, said the child's mother woke up some time after 1 a.m. yesterday morning and realised that her daughter was missing.

Police personnel in the parish told reporters that the girl's mother made a report to the Brown's Town police that her daughter was missing.

The mother reported that she had put Nevalesia and her twin brother to bed about 10:30 Saturday night.

Around 11:00, the little girl woke up and requested a drink of water.

She was given the water, after which she returned to lay on the bed and watch television with her mother.

The mother told the police that she woke up around 1:30 a.m. and realised that Nevalesia was missing. She also realised that the front door, which was not locked with a key, was open.

After searching frantically for her daughter, without success, she made a report to the police.

"Her body was later found with chop wounds in a gully," a police officer confirmed.

Last night, as police investigators continued a search for clues that could lead them to the persons responsible for the slaying of the three-year-old, they appealed to residents not to take the law into their own hands but to instead share whatever information they had that could assist the probe.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Glenford Hudson, who heads the Jamaica Constabulary Force's Area Two, told the news team that up to late yesterday, no motive had been established for the killing.

Hudson also indicated that it was too early to point to any suspect.

"We are going to see what the scene of crime people can come up with before we start looking for suspects," he reasoned.

Reacting to the killing, Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller said all Jamaicans "must be particularly incensed that children continue to be among the victims of these vile and senseless murders".

"All well-thinking Jamaicans must deplore and speak out against these gruesome acts of brutality against Jamaica's children," Simpson Miller urged.

She said the killing of a three-year-old represented a loss of potential.

"No one knows for sure the positive impact the young victim would have had on the society if she was given the opportunity to develop into an adult and contribute to the building of her community and nation," Simpson Miller added.

 Source: Jamaica-gleaner.com



Your reaction?

Click to listen highlighted text! Powered By GSpeech