Sister With The Help of Lover Cuts The Throat of Little Brother

A Manchester man who detailed for police investigators how, with assistance from his girlfriend, he used a knife to cut the throat of her 11-year-old brother, twice, was yesterday convicted of murder.

According to an article from the Jamaica Gleaner, 28 year old Kayode Garwood was found guilty in the Manchester Circuit Court after a seven-member jury returned a unanimous verdict. He is scheduled to be sentenced tomorrow.

His girlfriend, Denisha Gregory, 25, was sentenced in 2014 to four years in prison after she pleaded guilty to manslaughter for her role in the heinous murder of her brother.

Among the evidence presented during the trial was a caution statement Garwood gave police investigators - signed in the presence of two justices of the peace - in which he detailed how 11-year-old Tareek Gregory screamed and fought for his life, even biting one of his sister's fingers at one point.

Defence lawyers tried to have the statement excluded, arguing that Garwood did not have an attorney present when he spoke to detectives.

Prosecutors Andrea Martin Swaby and Steve Walters argued, however, that the statement was given voluntarily and in the presence of two justices of the peace.

Justice Chester Stamp, who presided over the trial, agreed with prosecutors.


Prosecutors led evidence that Gregory and Garwood hatched a plan to kill her mother, father and brother because her mother did not approve of the relationship and the 11-year-old was their favourite child.

Garwood, in his caution statement, recounted how he and his girlfriend let themselves into her parents' home and waited for them to return.

"She went to her mother’s room and laid on her bed, I turned off the television and laid beside her. She turn to me and said we will be living here very soon".

Soon after, Garwood said Tareek - affectionately known as 'Reeki' - arrived at the house. He said Denisha sent her sibling into their father's room for a suitcase "but i was in the room ready and waiting for Reeki to come inside.

I walked from behind the door and held him; he screamed. I tried to hold his mouth but I wasn’t able to. Denisha came around and put her hand in his mouth and he bit her on her finger.

That's when Garwood said he held the boy's throat and "Squeeze it until he blocks out".


"When he blocked out, I took up the knife and cut his throat, when he woke I heard him barely breathing," he recounted.

Denisha came to me and said “he’s not dead as yet” she then gave me a bat and told me to hit him with it. I hit him twice in the head. Afterwards, Denisha said he wasn’t dead; I then cut his throat again and hit him in his head with the baton.

She came around with a black plastic bag and told me to place it over his head; he would die quicker.

When placing the bag over his head and tightening it, he held up his hand and tore the plastic bag from his face. I asked her “are you stupid, I told you to hold his hand” “I then took out a knife and stab him twice on his left side”

The 11-year-old boy eventually died. The two left the house before Denisha's parents came home.



Your reaction?

Click to listen highlighted text! Powered By GSpeech