Moringa seeds are obtained from the pods of the moringa tree (Moringa Oleifera) or the drumstick tree. Fresh and raw moringa seeds are quite tender, but as soon as they get dried, they become hard and start resembling small beans (1). The grayish-white seeds with unique wing-like structures can be steamed, boiled or roasted for various purposes.
15 Best Moringa Seeds Benefits
Here we will discuss the awesome health, skin and hair benefits of the wonderful moringa oleifera seeds.
- Like many other herbs, moringa seeds also offer great antioxidant benefits. They contain lots of vitamins A, C, B-complex and other free radical busters that save our body from severe oxidative damages (2). In other words, the antioxidant properties of the seeds can help us take care of our overall health.
- Scientists have proved that the moringa seeds can reduce the amount of oxidized lipids in our body and take care of our cardiac health by safeguarding the heart tissues from constructional damages (3).
- The anti-carcinogenic effects of moringa seeds are also quite well known. They can stop the growth and development of cancer cells by accelerating their death count. According to researchers, the intake of moringa seed powder for 3 consecutive weeks can successfully restrain colon cancer (4).
- Moringa seeds contain plenty of zinc, which is essential for regulating the secretion of insulin hormone. As the production of insulin becomes normal, the levels of sugar also remain normal in our bloodstream. Hence, the extract of these seeds can be used as an effective anti-diabetic agent (5).
- The anti-inflammatory properties of moringa seeds can curb down inflammation, reduce soreness and perk up the function of our physical joints in case of severe bone disorders like arthritis (6).
- Being an excellent source of vitamin A, moringa seeds can strengthen our immune system (7), repair our mucus membrane and take optimal care of our eyes by keeping the vision intact.
- Protein is one of the most essential nutrients that we need for proper functioning of our body. Moringa seeds are loaded with protein (8) and hence, we can easily fulfil our daily requirement of amino acids by including the seeds in the powdered form in our diet.
- Moringa seeds contain oleic acid, a monosaturated fatty acid that is highly beneficial for our health. Being a healthy source of fat, moringa seeds can easily replace the high saturated animal fats found in our food items. They work as ‘good cholesterol’ and keep our cholesterol levels down (9). Moreover, they prevent blood clots and keep severe cardiovascular diseases at bay.
- The vitamin C content present in the moringa seeds makes them amazing immunity boosters (10). From eliminating harmful free radicals to developing protection against infectious agents, they can do everything successfully.
- Not only vitamins, but these seeds are also rich in vital minerals such as zinc, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, and so on. Each of these play a unique role in ensuring our complete wellness. Iron reduces the risk of anemia, calcium keeps our teeth and bones strong, while zinc facilitates the process of sperm production (spermatogenesis) (11).
- Vitamin A present in the moringa seeds is extremely helpful in maintaining the integrity of our skin. Being an effective antioxidant, it saves our skin cells from the harmful effects of the free radicals and keeps them healthy. Vitamin A also promotes the collagen formation and enhances the firmness of our skin, so that we can fight against premature aging (wrinkles, sagging, etc.) (12).
- The oil extracted from the moringa seeds can be used as natural moisturizer (13). It nourishes our skin and makes it healthy as well as glowing.
- Moringa seeds are widely used to make skin care products (14). The oil extracted from them can help us make our face free from acne, pimples, blackheads, black spots, etc. Consequently, we get clearer and brighter skin.
- The antioxidant properties of the moringa seeds benefit our hair too, as they can keep our internal system healthy and take care of the overall health of our tresses. The antioxidant vitamin C can improve the circulation of blood throughout our scalp, which stimulates our hair follicles and helps them absorb more nutrients. As a result, our hair becomes nourished and strong.
- Vitamin A and zinc present in the moringa seeds are known to promote hair growth considerably. Vitamin A takes care of our scalp and hair tissues by nourishing, repairing and maintaining them in a proper way, while zinc boosts our immune system and keeps the sebaceous glands on our scalp unclogged. Thus, both of these nutrients can accelerate the growth of our hair effectively.
Now that you know all about the Moringa seeds benefits, what are you waiting for? Hope this information was helpful for you. Please let us know by leaving your comments.